Passion Fruit Creme BruléeServers 4 Sweets
6 Tablespoon of passion fruit puree or frozen pulp [thawed]
1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 ¾ Cups heavy cream
4 Egg Yolks
1/4 Cup of sugar
¼ Teaspoon of salt
4 Ramekins [6-ounces each] Or Custard Cups
Blow Torch or Propane Torch
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pour the cream, passion fruit puree and vanilla extract into a medium pot and set it over a medium heat.
- Bring the cream to a medium simmer for 7 minutes; stirring occasionally .
- Remove the passion fruit cream from the heat and pour it into a medium bowl; place the bowl in the fridge for a minimum of 40 minutes or till cooled.
- In another large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar and the egg yolks until it starts to lighten in color.
- Bring the cooled passion fruit cream out of the fridge and pour it into the large bowl of the whisked yolks and sugar. Stir the mixture until all is incorporated.
- Ladle your passion fruit creamy mixture into the 4 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups.
- Place the ramekins into a large roasting pan and carefully pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins or custard cups [bain-marie method].
- Bake the crème brulee for 25-30 minutes [center should wiggly like gelatin].
- Once baked, carefully remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and place them in the fridge for at least an hour, they must be completely chilled before torching them.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of white sugar on top of each passion fruit custard and spread evenly on top.
- Using a torch, melt the sugar until it forms a bubbly sugar caramelized top.
- Place the caramelized custard ramekins back in the fridge for 7-10 minutes so that the sugar hardens and sets. Serve and enjoy!
Tips -The crème brulee can be made 3 days ahead and stored in the fridge until serving.